Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Apr 20 15:17:44 2008

Len it IS a very interesting issues for M8 users and subject to quite a lot
of discussion in the Leica forum, some more objective than others! When you
mention focus shift and back focus, firstly are you talking about each lens
shot wide open or the sharpest plane moving as you change the aperture?
That is two separate things, I think.
LFI reports Leica's position as that the focus shift when stopping down a
little has always been there (with fast lenses) but is more detectable with
the M8 due to several factors. Purportedly, only the 50 asph and the 75AA
that shares its design are immune.
What apertures are you testing all of those lenses at? You are testing I
think, at 8 feet? The comparison could only be valid at the same aperture.
I have heard about the infinity point adjusting in the M8 body, but the
shimming is new to me. The DoF of each lens cannot change at the same
aperture and focus distance surely. Certainly you could shift the focus
point with either method. What works in practice may have theoretical or
actual disadvantages I would think?
No question but that I am noticing missing focus with the 50 asph using it
close-up stopped down to f4 or so. I did the same on my M7. I think that it
is operator error. The 1.25 magnifier seems to help.
Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/