Subject: [Leica] F 5.6 and don't be there!
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Apr 21 14:29:36 2008

At 05:02 PM 4/21/2008, you wrote:
>I've suggested that people go out and shoot many pictures with their M8s and
>Noct. at f 5.6 and post them to the lug. See how many come out or don't come
>out. If that means I've "blown" then I hope  I do so faithfully and often.
>
>Mark William Rabiner

The Noctilux is one of my favorite lenses.  It was the only one I
could use in dark adobe houses and for photos by firelight.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490457
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490474
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490475
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490478
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490481
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490482
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490490

All Noctilux at 1.0.  Shutterbug did an article on special lenses,
including the Noctilux, and illustrated it with this one:
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/73490479

I use the Noctilux only at 1.0.  There is no point in buying such an
expensive lens and using it stopped down.  I know others do and get
great results but I need the extra stop and I like the shallow depth
of field.  If I want to use 2.0, I'll use the Summicron. I've had
problems focusing the Noctilux on my M8.  I sent both to Solms to be
coded and adjusted to each other.  I still can't focus it right.  The
next step is to set up some tests and see if it is
backfocusing.  Maybe I just need to practice focusing more since my
eyes are changing as I get older.  :-(   I know that the M8 shows up
faults that are forgiven by less demanding film and some digital
cameras.  It's worth it to figure out how to use the M8 and the Leica
M lenses with it.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI