Subject: [Leica] noctilux factoid of the day
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Fri Apr 25 07:30:58 2008

There's a difference between using a tool and knowing the process by
hand that the tool is using to make a job easier vice simply plugging
in data and automagically having the job done for you.  So your
"Hitorical Old Fart" status lends the credibility of having used a
slide rule and done the math by hand countless times.  Learning and
work forced your brains' abilities to calculate to become more honed.
I'm in school for engineering right now and feel significantly less
intelligent than when I was in the Navy actively solving problems for
real world applications (submarine hunting and weather).  The job
forced me to think far more abstractly than I do now.
So just because slide rules were the order of the day it doesn't hobble
you at all in my opinion (I used to have to use slide rules almost
every day back in the Navy and miss it).
Us "Upstarts" have a lot to learn from whatever you may call
yourselves.  I respect age, experience and knowledge immensely.  I wish
I could learn by having things just poured into my brain.  There's not
enough time to learn it all.

Phil Forrest

PS: If you can use photoshop, you can definitely use a CAD program with
a decent graphical interface.  In fact, it's probably boring in
comparison to photoshop.