Subject: [Leica] Square Film Format for the R10
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Thu May 8 06:48:36 2008

Hi Luggers,
One time lugger, Ray Tai, now participating, I think, at the
Rangefinder forum, has used some Leica R lens on the Hasselblad Xpan
( 24mm X 65mm). None of them have an image circle to cover 65mm but
the 35 Curtagon comes closest. Ray noted that there was very little
fall off at the edge of the R lenses' image circles (like the R28)
and he thought that some older style lenses had larger image circles
than some of the later models. Leica needs something to differentiate
it from the excellent DSLRs from Canon Nikon and others and going to
a square format - no more vertical and horizontal shots - like a mini
Hasselblad - could be a way to do it. I wouldn't be at all surprised
if they go square format - reinventing the 35mm format which Oskar
Barnack is credited with starting (even if he wasn't first). Older
lenses, if they do have a larger image circle might become sought
after and suddenly more valuable. I am keeping mine. Look at what has
happened to the price of Visoflexes with the M8. Photokina is going
to be very interesting. I am going and hope to lay hands on an R10.
Anybody else going to be there??
Cheers,
Howard

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Square Film Format for the R10)