Subject: [Leica] Equipment help
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri May 9 16:10:50 2008

>LUG:
>
>First, I'll apologize.  I've been swamped lately with company
>(in-laws!) and work and haven't checked the LUG as often as I'd
>like.  I hope to catch up but for some reason retirement leaves me
>less free time than working did!!  Of course, I'll never retire from
>photography.  I'm planning a trip to the Sierra Nevada again and
>would like to take only my M8's.  The thing I would miss by leaving
>the Canons at home would be the ability to take macro photos.  Today
>I "won" this Visoflex on that auction site (eBay):  290226690069
>I also "won" this one earlier:  270157852151   Will I be able to
>combine the various pieces from these on the M8 to take macro
>photos?  One has the OTVXO finder, one has the OTZFO focus mount,
>and one has the 135mm f4.5 Hektor.  Both have the Visoflex III.
>Have I bought enough pieces?  What else do I need?
>
>TIA
>
>Tina
>
>Tina Manley
>ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
>http://www.tinamanley.com

Hi Tina,

The one you bought first has all the pieces you need. The vertical
finder on the second can be handy, but always seems a bit more
awkward to me when handholding. All in all, a good value and
functional setup.

Manual metering when the rig is tripod mounted is of course easy
enough, but it can be used handheld with aperture preferred exposure
with a bit of practice.
The trick when using aperture preferred exposure is to set the delay
in the time between the lever raising the mirror and firing the
shutter long enough so that the camera gets an adequate chance to
meter. I've gotten this to work with macro  as well as with the
Telyts.

When using the 135 and Viso handheld, I find it's often easiest to
first set the camera on A, take a shot and then set the camera
manually from inspecting the shot information. That way you can
already see how close you are to clipping as well.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Equipment help)