Subject: [Leica] Equipment help
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri May 9 17:07:14 2008

At 07:10 PM 5/9/2008, you wrote:
Hi Tina,

>The one you bought first has all the pieces you need. The vertical
>finder on the second can be handy, but always seems a bit more
>awkward to me when handholding. All in all, a good value and functional
>setup.

Thanks, Henning.  The reason I bought the second one is that the guy
selling the first one says that the finder is actually one for the
Visoflex II and will not work with the M8.  I'm hoping it will,
because the vertical finder does seem more awkward.  There was a 90
degree one for sale at the same time, but it went for much higher.

>Manual metering when the rig is tripod mounted is of course easy
>enough, but it can be used handheld with aperture preferred exposure
>with a bit of practice.
>The trick when using aperture preferred exposure is to set the delay
>in the time between the lever raising the mirror and firing the
>shutter long enough so that the camera gets an adequate chance to
>meter. I've gotten this to work with macro  as well as with the Telyts.

I was planning to use this set-up with a separate meter so maybe all
of that won't be a problem?  I hope!  I'm also hoping to use the
Visoflex with the Telyts that I've got, but that's less of a priority
than the macro.

>When using the 135 and Viso handheld, I find it's often easiest to
>first set the camera on A, take a shot and then set the camera
>manually from inspecting the shot information. That way you can
>already see how close you are to clipping as well.

I'll try that.  Brightscreen also sells some screens for the Visoflex
that have the cropping for the M8 inscribed.  Has anybody tried these?

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com