Subject: [Leica] Re: Lenses for Digital
From: crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall)
Date: Fri May 30 12:48:00 2008

Ted

I must risk being the brunt of your infamous wrath!

2008/5/30 Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>:
> I'm not going to get into any kind of discussion about future Leica digital
> SLR's and auto lens stuff simply because at the moment it's a complete
> waste
> of time until we see them for real.

For guys like me who have to make critical purchase decisions on a
relatively meager
budget the judgement of others is valuable if not always totally
reliable. I agree with you
that real hard evidence is best. At the end of the day, my own
experience is the most
reliable for my own purposes but I can not afford to play with
everything. I recently tried
a M7 largely on the advice from this group; maybe it was a bad one but
it soon went as
the electronics was unstable despite been "repaired" by Leica. My
M6TTL remains my
main M work horse; it serves me well. My M3 and IIIf remind me of
Leica's strength in
mechanical engineering. I can note that over 30 years of Nikon use
only one camera
needed repair - after 20years of service the mechanics in the head on
my F2 Photomic
failed and parts were hard to obtain. I have not suffered electronic
problems with any of
my Nikons.

When it comes to digital I face a real decision in the next few months
so I do read with
care any evidence that is made available. If I was to make a decision
today on hard evidence
then it is likely I would go 100% Nikon for digital. It's there and
its tested and the glass is
rapidly improving - the Zeiss lenses are most promising and the newest
Nikons are good
- well I can speak to the new Nikon 60mm Micro. I am not sure I can
wait for the hard
evidence on where Leica R is going. Retirement looms and when it
happens my purchasing
power will fall heavily. I have a small window of opportunity. I look
to this group to keep my
faith in Leica but it gets harder.

Chris B

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: Lenses for Digital)