Subject: [Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Jun 1 17:47:01 2008

Hi Peter,

I don't have a Nokton, but have used one for a while, and have had a
Summilux ASPH for about as long as it's been available.

I noticed slight focus shift on both, and it didn't seem much
different. I largely disregard it on the Summilux, and it seems to
work. The Noctilux definetely has focus shift. Mine focusses dead on
at f/1, and then is fully accurate again at f/5.6.

The Nokton at f/1.2 is pretty close to the performance of the
Summilux at f/1.4, but at all smaller apertures the Summilux is
better, sometimes to a fair degree. It's not that you can't use the
Nokton at smaller apertures, but many lenses outperform it at f/4.

I passed on the Nokton mostly due to size and the adjunct of it
blocking a considerable portion of the 35mm frame in the viewfinder.
I know I would generally take the Summilux unless I absolutely needed
f/1.2 and nothing else. Those instances are extremely rare, and would
take the Summilux probably as well. Even bigger and heavier than the
Nokton is the Nokton plus the Summilux.

Anyway, that's where my 'logic' took me.

Henning