Subject: [Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jun 1 14:32:53 2008

Has anyone here used both the Leica 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH and the CV 35/1.2
Nokton?  And had to decide between one or the other, or both?

I have the Summilux, and I've never tried the Nokton.  Yet the pictures I
see on the Net taken with the 35/1.2 Nokton make me want it. Not as a
replacement for the 'Lux, but as an adjunct.  I'm not sure if the desire is
based on some real photographic need, lens buying addiction, or perhaps
misplaced Noctilux envy.

Anyway, here are my random thoughts on the matter:

With film, I have always been primarily a 50mm kind of guy. Which makes me
a 35mm kind of guy with the M8.

I love available light. It's a significant part of my photography. Now, the
half-stop between f/1.4 and f/1.2 doesn't make a huge difference in shutter
speed. But the difference between 1/15 and 1/22 second, or 1/30 and 1/45
might be significant in reducing motion blur on a marginal shot.

The Nokton does not have appreciable focus shift as you stop down,
according to Sean's test. The Summilux does. I've learned to get around it,
but it's annoying to have to think about one more thing.

The Summilux is unbelievably sharp and contrasty even wide open. It has
fairly harsh bokeh. The Nokton is a little less sharp and contrasty, but it
seems more than adequate wide open, and the bokeh and contrast are more
gentle.

I'm not sure I want to carry a lens that weighs more than a pound around my
neck. So the Nokton would be something I carry mostly when I know I'm going
to need it.

I also have a classic design 50/2 Summicron v. 4, which I use when the
light is good. I prefer its bright-light rendition to the 'Lux's. So I've
already got two 35mm lenses.

Oh great, I'll have to buy another big, expensive IR cut filter.

If I got the Nokton, it would be hard to justify keeping the Summilux. Yet
how could I sell the Summilux?  It's the best lens I've ever had, by the
standard of sharpness and clarity.

I'm an idiot.  I should stick with what I've got.

And yet. . .

Repeat entire circular thought process over and over.

So, as the cowardly Lion said:  "Talk me out of it." Or not...

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?)