Subject: [Leica] OT: New Nikon D700 full frame
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jul 1 21:53:41 2008

APS-2 or close to 1.5 crop factor format is within 1% of being half frame.
Half linearly of 24x36
Its roughly 18x24.

Anyone ever use Olympus Pen or other half frame gear?
Its a smaller format for sure in every way.
Everything is smaller. Glass. Bodies.
There are advantages to that. If you want them.

I used my D40x today as I do everyday.
Its real small and light. And in effect half frame.
If it was full frame I'd have left it at home.
I was doing too much walking in unfamiliar neighborhoods to drag too much
weight around.

35mm film cameras got quite small in the last decade of the past millennium.
Can DSLR's and digital M's with so called full frame sensors be the same
size as their film counterparts?
Of course they can but we have to wait 4 years.
Which means 2.

As the digital rule is it never takes half as long as you think. At max.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner