Subject: [Leica] When 12mp is just not enough
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 10 10:08:32 2008

Hi George,

I honour all what you say. Maybe my comments are the result of shooting 35mm
99.9% of my life and the mobility of capturing the moments quickly and
precisely without having to cope with heavy duty cameras, tripods etc. My
largest ever camera was the Speed Graphic shooting 4X5 for weddings,
funerals, commercial and early days of my sports.

Once I got rid of it, although I did use three Hasselblad's for some time,
but used them much like working 3 Leica's. Even on some of the
documentaries. One Hassie on each shoulder with different lenses and the SWC
hanging around my neck. :-)  Hell of a sight! :-)

But finally proved a point to a couple of art directors that I could produce
equal or better images with Leica Kodachrome than Hassie ektachrome! I shot
an assignment on 35 kodachrome without telling them. Had prints made and
presented them to the AD's and blew them away. When I was sure they were
still ecstatic about the quality, then I told them I'd shot them with Leica
and 35mm Kodachrome.

Sold all the Hassie gear the next week! :-) And never looked back to larger.
Actually received three new assignments and.. "Hey Ted shoot it like you did
that stuff last week it was great!" :-)

I admit all the digital sizes and tech talk ooohhhsss and ahhhhhhhhhhh's
about digital really isn't my cup of tea. So I suppose bigger isn't better
in my eyes for nothing more than a better looking print. However, so far
I've never had any complaints about any of my 13X19 size prints, many sold
through a local gallery. So does the size make any difference in capturing
the instant blink of an eye moment shot with a Leica?

Or are we maybe getting into apples and oranges?

ted