Subject: [Leica] IMG: PAW 29 (ric)
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jul 28 07:54:59 2008

Greg, you're right about the 'low hanging fruit'.

There very probably isn't going to be any considerable drop in the price
per barrel ever again.

The main exploration targets are now on 'higher branches' in remoter
areas and at previously inaccessible depths offshore, both on and beyond
the continental shelf and in previously protected areas of the
environment. (i.e. Alaska (already suffering), much of Canada (The
Athabasca Tar Sands in Alberta have been in production for quite a
while,. Similar deposits have since been found in Venezuela's Orinoco
Basin), the Antarctic and South Atlantic Shelf (one reason for the
Falklands 'War'), below the northern polar ice cap (however long it
lasts), the Amazon Basin (by-bye rainforest), Central Africa (bye-bye
Gorillas) etc.).

In fact, the recoverable oil content of the tar sands in Canada is
estimated at around 300 Gb (billion barrels), even greater than the
(estimated) Saudi Arabian oil reserves

Exploration and production costs for these will play their own part in
maintaining currently exorbitant prices per barrel. When I left the
business a few years ago, exploration companies were already downsizing
their workforces because of rock-bottom barrel-prices of around 20 USD

When I was still in the business (until the beginning of 2003),
exploration was already well under way in deep waters around the globe,
like West of Shetland and the South China Sea, although the Pacific was
as good as untouched at the time, with the exception of coastal areas,
but speculative exploration is now seeing a boom there too.

So-called strategic reserves will soon begin to enter the game - mostly
deposits that were not economical to exploit because OPEC oil was so
cheap - as large deposits such as the Norwegian and UK North Sea are all
but depleted. So we can soon expect more exploitation of tar-sands,
oil-shales etc. deep or hard-rock reservoirs, requiring expensive
hydraulic fracturing to increase pore size, as the economics of
production become more attractive.

In the meantime, many companies are pinning their hopes on methane
hydrates (a highly pressured ice comprised of methane and water) that
are estimated to contain more than twice the energy of global reserves
of oil and gas, though the actual extent of such deposits and whether
and how they may become are exploitable remains more or less unknown.

It's a grim scenario. But the future scenario for drinking water looks
even worse!!

Best from Hannover
Douglas (Ex-Senior Exploration Geophysicist)