Subject: [Leica] Grand Canyon Hike
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri Aug 1 18:03:52 2008

On Aug 1, 2008, at 5:51 PM, Bob Adler wrote:

> Tina,
> In 3rd grade (I'm 53) our teacher read the book "Bright Angel" to
> us. It was about the mule the Bright Angel trail is named after. I
> still remember how entrhalled I was with that book's story.
> I believe the Bright Angel Ranch is still at the trail head.
> I've always wanted to go down the trail on a mule. They still do it
> and provide a couple of overnight options. My understanding is that
> it is an amazing ride on very special mules with incredible footing.
> And they carry all your gear without complaint!
> That's what I'd opt for, new knees or knot :-)

that's going down Bob, I'm not sure if the mules carry you back up...

it's the climbing back up part that is the rub..

I've never done it, (only a short part of the trail, which was
strenuous), but I know people who have done it, and I can try to
enquire further re the upwards journey...

what I have heard makes me more than a little concerned about its
degree of difficulty and the physiologic demands...

Steve