Subject: [Leica] IMG: Rain - B&W?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Aug 8 14:16:18 2008

Tina showed:

Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: Rain - B&W?

Tina said:

>>Thanks, Mark.  I tried it cold:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/101381455

Better?

Tina me dear,

Now yer cookin! :-) Sometimes it really works. :-)

"REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS SHOOT BLACK & WHITE!" ;-)

A beauty without question! One can almost feel the rain. The first posting
was interesting with the slightly warm tone.  However, "cool B&W?" A beauty
indeed!

It was always a tough call which to use, colour or B&W when we had to use
film so we had to shoot both. What a waste of film and time!

Today with digital? It's a no brainer, simply shoot it colour, flip it later
without loosing quality in one or the other. In many cases we gain another
photo completely because both can work depending on the final end use.

The point of "which to shoot" came up at an art director meeting yesterday.
They really wanted to be able to use B&W or colour depending on several
promotion packages they were producing.

I offered. "Piece of cake because we're all shooting digital so you can flip
the image to whatever colour you wish in post production!"

It seemed one of the AD's earlier had concern about me always saying "real
photogs shoot B&W!" And he didn't want extra work with both types of film
and or an argument with me if I stood my ground about the power of B&W. :-)

He imagined from what he'd heard, I was going to be a mean ass about using
B&W for this particular medical assignment. Me? Heck I'm too easy going for
that kind of argument when yer being "paid nicely to shoot it." :-)

So Thursday next week I'm shooting an all day assignment 7am until ?
nightfall anyway, in the Cardiac OR's. Should be a day of interesting
moments. :-) All in living colour!

You just have to love digital, I can't imagine going back to film for any
reason at the moment. Certainly in a case like this where both types of
images are required for the end project.

ted

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Rain - B&W?)