Subject: [Leica] Re: OT 3200 ASA on the Leica d700
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Aug 13 08:25:19 2008

Mark,

The R7 was, and still is, my favorite SLR body of all time. I'd love to
see a body just like the R7 with a chip akin to the D3.

Another thing I'd like to see is for some manufacturer to break out of
the box and build a digital camera with a great optical viewfinder but
no LCD. Let the camera utilize an LCD that I already have, like the one
on my cell phone. (How many LCDs must I carry on my person?) Built a
separate and optional PDA sized unit that has a hard drive -- where I
can download the photos -- and a viewer where I can see photos and
adjust my camera's internal settings, and record my GPS coordinates,
etc., etc.

Why are manufacturers compelled to try and cram so much functionality
into the camera? We've been brainwashed into thinking that we absolutely
need an LCD on a camera, when in fact we don't. I lived for a lot of
years without an immediate histogram feature. Yet somehow I was able to
take properly exposed photographs.

Using a separate device for LCD would be very practical. I doubt that
anyone will ever do it, because we'd all go into shock until we realized
that a system approach can be every bit as functional as "the camera
does it all". If anyone could get away with being the first, Leica
could.

A camera should be about seeing and capturing an image. Let a separate
device house all the hardware and software necessary to monitor the
results if and when that's needed. And model the camera after an R7 :-)

DaveR