Subject: [Leica] Sorry for the delay Frank (explanation) WAS IsLightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: jnelon at netvigator.com (James R. Nelon)
Date: Sat Aug 16 18:22:24 2008

Frank,

For what you need, according to what you have listed below, purchase neither
LR or PS. Buy Photoshop Elements 6.0, also from Adobe. You don't need to buy
any books to figure Elements out. It's unbelievably intuitive. It does
everything I need to do (which maps closely what your requirements are),
frequently allowing me to use sliders so I can see the effect immediately,
and I've used the included help stuff only occasionally in extreme
situations. Elements does a LOT more than the minimal requirements you've
noted, so there's plenty of room to expand your uses as you need more. For
the many fellow photographers I have talked with, we've found LR and CS3 to
be overkill and too complicated - but those products will do absolutely
everything - at a rather larger $ price (unless you're upgrading) and at a
somewhat steep learning curve.

Somehow Elements has been positioned (perhaps by Adobe) as a poorer, much
less adequate product. But that's just not true, unless you're doing
something really special. It's the 90/10 rule (updated from the 80/20 rule):
Elements will likely do 90% of what is normally needed and LR/CS3 will do
the rest.

YMMV.

Jim Nelon