Subject: [Leica] RAID controllers?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Aug 18 15:27:37 2008

At 05:42 PM 8/18/2008, you wrote:

>But I'm thinking it's time to get really serious about a full RAID solution.
>
>Adam

Adam -

RAID systems are not recommended by most of the Photoshop gurus that
I read.  With a striped RAID system, if one drive fails the whole
system fails and all data is lost.  With a mirrored RAID 5 system,
one drive can fail and the data is still safe, but that system is
very slow.  With a RAID 0+1, you use four disks and it is fast and
secure, but if information becomes corrupt, the corruption is just
mirrored in the RAID drive.  Not that I understand all of
that!!  (That's all from Evening's LR book but Peter Krogh says the same
thing)

I use the recommended JBOD system - "Just a Bunch of Disks",
regularly backing up and checking everything.  Since hard drives are
so cheap, I just get two every time and back one up for every one I
have online.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com