Subject: [Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat Aug 30 07:57:09 2008

On Aug 30, 2008, at 6:57 AM, Leonard Taupier wrote:

> Peter is absolutely correct in his assessment of the two lenses.
>
> Resolution tests are normally made at the lens infinity setting
> using sophisticated optical measuring equipment. I have tested both
> of these lenses using test charts at the required distance of 8' 3"
> from lens to chart for a 50mm lens. I find that when using an M8 for
> the test that the resolution is limited by the M8 resolution and not
> the lens. At the 8' 3" distance I find the resolution of the two
> lenses from f5.6 to f11 to be the same. The Summilux at f1.4 is very
> fine but from f2 to f4 the DR lens gives me higher resolution.

that's amazing...

> This is caused by a focus shift and back focus at those openings,
> very similar to the shift of the Noctilux, but to a lesser extent.
> This is probably not a problem at longer distances and especially at
> infinity. I also measure higher resolution when testing with low
> grain, high sharpness film and developers using an M7 or MP body. I
> can never measure resolution above 88 lpmm with the M8 but measure
> 100 lpmm with film with the same lens at the same openings. The
> focus shift is also not so obvious. But even though the resolution
> of the DR and Summilux are the same, the Summilux has higher
> contrast and photos taken with it appear sharper.
>
> As a side note, the Noctilux is just as sharp as the Summilux in the
> f5.6 to f11 openings. Some of the Luggers know this and take
> advantage of it and treat the Noctilux as a normal lens.
>
> Note: This is what a retired engineer enjoys doing on rainy days
> when he's not out taking pictures of birds, flowers or landscapes.

This is helpful and very interesting Len.  I rarely test lenses this
way. But just using the lenses to take photos gives me the same
impressions, and though I may be a heretic, but I don't care about the
ASPH's technical details, and bench tests...I often find its look
analytic and brittle...

I like very much the look of the DR, so it's interesting that
measurements at some f stops show it to have an even higher
resolution... the difference at least in part comes down to the much
lower contrast characteristics, which you can season to taste.

Steve