Subject: [Leica] M8 Auto ISO instruction
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Sep 20 07:15:30 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 11:49 PM, red735i@earthlink.net wrote:
> So: intuitive to some, for others, non-intuitive.

as will always be the case

> I was a marketing guy for a line of computer products.  I tested
> all the SW instruction on my non-techie Secretary.... if she could
> not get it without asking questions, it went back to engineering
> for simplifications.  Consumer proofing SW and instructions for SW
> is a hard and long task.

Understood - especially for complex software
Part of the problem we're having in this conversation
rests with fact that you've not seen the M8 SW
which, when you hit MENU shows (in order):
Lens Detection: 3 choices. Pick one.
Save User Profile: 3 choices. Pick one.
Self Timer: 2 choices. Pick one
Auto ISO Setup:
        Slowest Speed. Pick one
        Max ISO. Pick one
Sharpening - grayed out for RAW
Color Saturation - grayed out for RAW
Contrast - grayed out for RAW
Histogram: 4 choices. Pick one
Picture Numbering: 3 choices. Pick one
Auto Review:
        Duration
        Histogram
Auto Power Off: 4 choices
Flash sync: 2 Choices
Auto Slow Sync: 5 Choices
Color Management: grayed out for RAW
Reset
Sensor Cleaning
Date
Time
Acoustic Signal
Language
Format SD Card
Firmware notice

That's it Frank - scroll through the menu and pick your choices
We're not talking about 9 levels of sub menus with archaic language

Besides the MENU
we have a (quick) set screen with (in order)
ISO: with 5 choices - plus (now) AUTO ISO
EV: exposure compensation in 1/3 increments + or -
Resolution: grayed out in RAW
User Profile:

Not a heck of a lot to get lost in here.

I suspect that any problems people experienced
had more to do with simply not looking at the options
and a desire for guidance
rather than actually "not getting it."

> You may be on the same wavelengths as the writers, but others are
> obviously not.

no writers required
install the FW
scroll through options
make choices according to your desires
make photographs

> Trying to be understanding to others, and their inabilitiy to make
> things work, takes patience.

We're talking about people who have used this camera
instructions came with camera
nothing has changed in how to set the camera
one new feature has been added
within that feature are two settings which are obvious the moment you
look at the feature

> As far as no problems, I am glad you are seeing no problems.
> However, it is too early to tell  ( what, 24 or 48 hours???) .
> Wait a month or 2 before you make a judgement.  Let's just hope it
> all goes well.

You're right Frank. The FW could still, at some point in the future,
cause the camera to become inoperable. While I've never experienced
this eventuality, in a dozen FW installations with a half a dozen
different cameras, over a period of 20 years, it could happen.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com