Subject: [Leica] a serious question
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 25 20:12:33 2008

Tina offered:

my photos from my Canon 5D or my Canon 1DMII, there is no question about
which is best.

People on other e-mail lists are complaining about fringing,

chromatic aberrations, and soft focus from the newest offering from Canon
and the solution that some offer is to "fix it in Photoshop."  Leica digital
files don't need fixing.  I'll eat beans and rice and wait months or years

to pay for that quality.<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

I can't agree with you more! Leica glass on an M8 properly set to go,
"captures," if that is the word, images of a superior quality than anything
I've seen.

I've made some 13 X 19 prints this evening in B&W converted from colour that
eliminated any question of digital verses film! Not that I ever concerned
myself with the comparisons, because the image content has always been far
more important than some fiddly techie stuff I never understood in any
event.

I've done the "M8 upload," whatever? And will in the next few days get a
chance to see if there's any recognizable difference on higher ASA
exposures.

Although the prints this evening were shot at 1600 ASA and certainly don't
look any different than Tri-x at the same rating. The content? :-)

What else can I say but.. "cool!" :-)

ted