Subject: [Leica] a serious question
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 25 09:02:15 2008

George Lottermoser offered:

>>Leica User Group.

Why do so many active members on the LUG

feel the need to denigrate the company

the innovation the prototypes the prices

the schedule? miseriously, why?

I've been on this list quite a while

It surprised me when I first joined it's angered me at times along the way
tonight it just baffles me

Leica has presented us with exciting news

Optically  mechanically technologically

and we're dissing them why?<<<<<<<<<<<

George,

Good questions all. Actually I may be considered one of the gripers!

In my case partially because during my over half century as a working
professional photographer, no not a day here and a day next year, but the
day to 24 hour every day newspaper, magazine, eventually full time 365 day
documentary photojournalist and book author.

My Leica's have been the mainstay of my career and successful life as a
photojournalist! I moved with the improvements because each gave me another
edge to fight the competition. I lived breathed and damn near died with and
or for my Leica's on a few occasions to get the Leica captured moments.

I've lived through their economic up's and downs, at times with concerned
anxieties as I see those posted today. And without any hope of our gut
wrenching feelings ever being heard at the boardroom table!

You read the Leica releases and announcements like the holy book for new
revelations and promises, you become as a child euphoric with excitement to
garner this new camera or lens. Your hands become sweaty in anticipation for
it's use!!!!

Only to find it's just another form of pipe dream! "it will be available in
six months or next century!" THE BALLOON GOES POOF IN YOUR FACE!

Your magical emotional heart warming connection of your "human to Leica
camera" relationship that helped make you a success over the years begins to
tarnish.

You start to become a non-believer, the devil and hype of digital by others
make you weak of flesh and spirit with unhealthy thoughts, so you "try under
duress" a new Canon digital! Only to be super surprised and delighted you've
entered the new world digital order of photography. Not to forget.. "I CAN
USE MY LEICA LENSES WITH IMPUNITY!!!"

Meanwhile, Leica offerings are magnificent! Well?

An attachable digital back, yes when it works it's above reproach! When it
doesn't? We've heard the tales and frustrations of service and mismanagement
in handling the DMR servicing. On the other hand many re-badged machines
work beautifully. I have a Digilux 2 that works like a dream! Leica sharp
images.

Now after many months of new Leica digital hype, we have the M8, a wonderful
camera.. BUT! It requires add on filters and whatever other little tweaks to
make it near perfect for M lovers! Not to forget at a price that either
broke the hearts of some because they can't afford them or the pocket books
of others. The M8-2 a vast improvement but still in a very high cost range
even for professionals.

THEN THE BIGGY! PHOTOKINA 2008 THE YEAR OF ?????????

Well OK some spectacular camera insides and lenses, but for an elite group
of "high income commercial studio photographers" Oh and not to forget.. The
long long awaited R10? Hold your breathe everyone? Oh sorry not this year
maybe in 2 years?

And these kind of messages have gone on for years putting the emotions of
the hard core believers up and down like a yoyo on a string! Always waiting
for next year's announcement only to learn? You have to wait another two
years before it's ready for delivery... "IF?"

I could go on with many other reasons for members to bitch, whine and any
other wording to voice their disaffection for Leica, unfortunately it's
growing! Am I one of those who'll shed tears and or other disorienting
emotions if it crashes and burns? NOPE! Why?

Well it's the guy or gal holding the camera that creates the picture and if
Leica should go the way of the dodo bird so be it, as there are new kids on
the block whose gear record some pretty spectacular images!

If this makes me a bitcher? So be it, as I feel I've earned a spot to do so
after all the faithful years of always working with 3 M's and 3 motor driven
SLR's as the assignments dictated. I'm still a believer and extol the Leica
quality and where, when and why one should use an M camera. But the yearning
for new bits is pretty low to the barrel bottom at the moment!

ted

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] a serious question)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] a serious question)