Subject: [Leica] LUG - Way over my budget...
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn)
Date: Sun Sep 28 19:12:20 2008

Jan,

I want to echo and reinforce what others on the list are saying. I'll
never afford an S2 and I'll never afford a Strad. There are people
who collect violins. Where they manage to get the money to do this is
beyond me. There also people who collect cellos. Where they get the
space to store them I don't know. Here are some of the things which
determine the value of a stringed instrument. When it was made. Where
it was made. Who made. Who has owned it, and who has played it. What
it sounds like is dead last on the list, if it is on the list at all.
Perhaps this is because to deal with the question of an instrument's
sound someone has to play it and that is a whole different question
than talking about how you bought it. It's easy to talk about
hardware. Learning to use it is a whole different matter. Talking
about equipment is just human nature.

Equipment isn't totally irrelevant, but it's far less important than
many people think. Carter Brey is the Principal Cellist of the New
York Philaharmonic. He did his audition for the Peabody Conservatory
on a cello which only cost six or seven hundred dollars. He got in.
Some years ago I attended a master class with YoYo Ma. At one point
during the class he wanted to make a point so he borrowed a cello
from one of the students in the class. I happen to know the cello in
question. It came from a local dealer and cost about twenty five
hundred dollars. It was a cheap cello, although there is nothing
cheap about a cheap cello. He sounded every but as good on this
student cello as he did on his Strad. Point is this. At some point it
isn't about what you've got it's about what you do with it.

Barney