Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Rockport, MA
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Oct 23 14:23:17 2008

At 03:52 PM 10/23/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Tina,
>
>Your post raises a few questions :
>
>1) Was there a compulsory theme or combo?

Hi, Philippe -

No theme this year.  Just - go out and take
pictures.  We did have a speaker who specializes
in photos of the Rock quarry here.  He's a very
successful gallery artist and took us all on a
tour of the quarry.  We were not obligated to
take photos there but most did just for fun and the experience.

>What I see on the LUG surprises me as
>a) they're not the type of photos you usually show,
>b) the gear is not the best you have in stock to use for this kind of takes.

Rockport isn't somewhere I'd go to take the kind
of photos I usually show.  I'm here to give a
lecture and goofing off the rest of the time
;-)  After giving my lecture, I'm on vacation and
I wanted to play with the Visoflex.  I borrowed
the 90 Macro from Leica and tested it out against
the Visoflex.  In almost every case, I preferred using the Visoflex.

>2) Did you deliberately go "astray" from your style ?

No - just playing around.  I never thought I
would like photographing rocks, but it was very
interesting.  You learn something new every day!

>I hope this somewhat harsh post won't hurt you.
>It is not meant to. I am simply wondering why.
>
>In any case I hope you enjoyed the seminar and I
>really wish you developed in this direction i.e.
>art and personal sensibilty to other topics than
>human beings too for you've proved here that
>your bow has more than just one string.
>
>Amiti?s
>Philippe

Thanks, Philippe.  No, I didn't think you were
harsh at all.  I appreciate any and all
comments.  Ted liked a couple of mine but he's
not into "rock and fern" photos as he calls
them.  He liked the blowing leaves best of
mine.  He felt the vines were cropped too much,
the morning glory wasn't cropped enough, the
berries he didn't have any criticism of, the
sumac leaves he didn't like because he preferred
the ones showing motion.  The ones that won were
1. a wave crashing on rocks with a lighthouse in
the background  2. The rock quarry (don't really
understand why that one won) 3.  I think, another
seascape with waves crashing (but I don't remember for sure).

Thanks!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com