Subject: [Leica] 21 mm Leica lenses......
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Oct 28 06:03:23 2008

Don has used more of these than I. I have the Zeiss ZM 21 4.5. Contrast and
resolution , I can find no fault with.

Form factor is tiny and build quality excellent. One third stops don't
register on the meter for me. Nice in manual studio I guess?
The later production have lens flanges that bring up the 28 frame-lines on
the M8. Irrelevant for framing, vital if you intend to add 6 BIT coding.
Zeiss will also modify/replace the earlier mounts for this frame-line.
Courtesy of Tony Rose they fixed my early one and did not charge me one
cent. Neither did Tony, postage only (superb service)
John Milich can code it. His replacement flange does not fit this one. It
does fit the 2.8 version.
Distortion and vignetting are negligible. Remember the maximum aperture.
Shooting directly into the sun, mine is inferior to my Leica glass regarding
veiling glare.
Worst case example.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/92958185
The 2.8 version is very well reported. I have not tried it. I'm not sure why
you would initially discount it, if you are considering the 4.5.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Maike Harbets speaks on the S2. .... So we will drop down this technology to
our other systems.
Our priority is to modernise the R system which will be in the end an R10,
definitely.