Subject: [Leica] Was: R10 news, now: the IR filter
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun Nov 2 08:24:41 2008

If an analysis and explanation from one who is neither an engineer nor
a Leica insider is worth reading, here goes.

The reason has to do with the flange (or lens)-to-sensor distance.
This distance is short in RF cameras, resulting in a relatively highly
off-axis incidence for the light rays going from the exit pupil at the
rear element of the lens to the edges of the sensor, especially for
retrofocal or other WA lenses. SLRs, with the necessary space for the
mirror box, have a much longer lens-to-sensor distance and
correspondingly shallower angles for edge light rays.

As far as the sensor itself goes, this is important because the
photosites have difficulty with light coming in highly off-axis. A
smaller sensor suffers less because its extremities are not at such a
high angle.

As far as the IR filter goes, it is important because the filter acts
at least in part by means of optical interference, which depends
sensitively on the distance (fractions of a wavelength) that the light
travels between the front surface of the interference coating and the
surface of the glass substrate. The specific thickness of the coating
optimizes its effect over a small range of wavelengths, e.g IR,
centered on an exact wavelength at perpendicular incidence. For the
wavelength of interest, the thickness could be chosen to be optimal
for perpendicular rays, in order to optimize the effect at the center
of the image, where the center of visual interest usually lies. It
could also be chosen to be optimal for slightly angled rays, in order
to produce a zone of acceptable effect that extends from the center as
far toward the periphery as possible. A significant deviation from
this ideal angle increases the wavelength of maximal effect. (Which is
why the color of reflections from the front surface of a lens--and the
IR filter!--varies with the angle of viewing.) It's a complex
engineering decision that depends on esthetic and technical
considerations--how far off-axis the effect should extend, how
suboptimal the on-axis effect can be allowed to be, how the IR
sensitivity of the sensor varies with wavelength, and so on. The
angles are less extreme in front of the lens, which is why a filter
placed there is feasible. (I would guess that even then, the effect at
the extremes of an image produced with a WA lens would be noticeable.
I'll run a test with the 21 and the 24 Elmarits as soon as I can find
a piece of black polyester cloth to put in front of my M8....)

In the case of the M8, these two factors underlie the sub-35mm sensor
size and the absence of an IR filter at the sensor. (For SLRs, the
angles are sufficiently less extreme that both a full-size sensor and
a filter directly in front of the sensor are workable. This also
applies to MF reflex cameras, of course.

Leica presumably made what it deemed the best of a situation that
necessitated compromise. We live with it, or not, according to our own
priorities.

--howard