Subject: [Leica] Re: Micro 4/3
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Tue Dec 9 00:10:11 2008

Hi Didier,
I have an Olympus E3. I am predisposed to like Olympus as a long time OM
user. I find the autofocus fast but inaccurate. Certainly worse hit rate
than the first DSLR I had, a 3.3 megapixel Canon D30. Using it in the same
place (where I walk my dogs) on the same subject (flying kites and buzzards)
the autofocus hit rate with the E3 is not as good as I had with the old D30,
never mind more recent cameras. I actually get better hit rate on the E3
with these subjects using manual focus. The autofocus results are at their
worst with the longest lenses near infinity, ie 150mm f2 with either
teleconvertor and the 50 to 200 zoom. A top professional who is a friend of
mine had similar problems, and that was doing a shoot for Olympus with kit
supplied by them.
I also have an E510 which seems to have more accurate AF but find the
viewfinder very small and dim, certainly mine is nowhere near the M8, there
must be a big improvement from E510 to E420.
I had been hoping for a smaller lighter camera for wildlife shots when out
with my dogs. So far the Olympus has not been as good as I wanted for this.
The E3 has an OK viewfinder but inconsistent autofocus near infinity. The
E510 has OK autofocus but a poor viewfinder. OTOH I do like the lenses.
My frustration is that where the Oly is good it is not appreciably smaller
than other DSL/lens combos, where it is smaller it is not good enough, not
because of optical limitations (the 150mm is fantastic even with
teleconvertors when in focus) but because the autofocus can't cope.
Frank