Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 again
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Tue Dec 9 00:53:16 2008

Hi Didier, seems your experience and mine are only slightly parallel :-)

I still have my Epson RD1 and carried it very carefully without bangs and
vibration after having to readjust the vertical alignment once and not
wanting to have to do it again....... Not very user friendly. I hardly ever
use it any more.
I agree that the pictures are the best 6 mpx ever but I have always assumed
this to be the lenses rather than software. In fact it also has the magenta
and IR problems, though not as severe as the M8, and AFAIK nobody noticed it
until checking after seeing the M8 problems. Mine is notably better if I use
the IR filters I got for the M8, and I can notice the magenta blacks
without, though not as bad as M8 (I checked after reading something about it
on the 'net).
I like the RAW convertor and the built in ability to correct for the
Voigtlander lens characteristics.

I find that there is never a question about when I choose a DSLR or RF
camera. I only use the DSLR when very long lenses, macro or zoom are
appropriate, and for grandchildren pictures where AF is appropriate!
For all normal photography it is M8.
cheers,
Frank