Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 again
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Mon Dec 8 04:14:01 2008

It is indeed sad Epson/Cosina did not catch up on this project. I still love
my R-D1s, but it's  unreliability in terms of rangefinder alignment (beside
other issues) was jarring on my nerves so much until I bought another
camera, the E-420, some weeks ago. If you have not followed my posts about
my R-D1 in the past 2 years: 2 bodies, tilted sensor in the first, 3x
CLA/readjustments so far and disadjusted again.

The sensor, same as in the Nikon D70 but with improved in-camera software,
does not correct vignetting like the M8, but produces wonderful colors,
without any magenta or IR issues. Haven't seen better 6 megapixel pictures
so far. The auto WB is surprisingly accurate. On bright daylight, the
metering tends to underexpose 1-2 stops, but is, surprisingly again, very
accurate in dark and mixed-light conditions. The 1:1 magnification of the
very bright finder is extremely pleasing. The ISO 1600 performance is
superior to the M8s ISO 1280 performance.

If only those quality issues wouldn't be ... but let's hope your's will be
more reliable than mine.

I had an opposite experience with a security guard in a Euro 2008 football
stadium, who did NOT confiscate my Epson as he believed it's something old
without exchangeable lens :-)

Didier

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] Epson R-D1 again)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Epson R-D1 again)