Subject: [Leica] un-believable - now 'way' off-topic and long
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Dec 20 13:11:35 2008

Oh yes, Frank, the folks who adore free market capitalism - run amok.
Deregulate! Let the criminals fleece investors, earn billions of dollars in
compensation and leave it to taxpayers to save the world while permitting
the criminals to retain their billions. Don't get me started.

Three years ago my nephew was writing reports and making oral presentations
to clients of his firm that predicted exactly what has occurred, accusing
Moody's and Standard & Poors, the two major credit rating agencies, of gross
negligence in failing adequately to assess precisely the risks of the
financial skullduggery that led to 30-1 leverage ratios for lenders,
mortgage brokers l;ying to and conning poor people into buying homes they
couldn't possibly afford and the hedge fund crimes that ensued. Josh was
predicting exactly what happened. The firm asked him to resign as their
clients were offended!

Now he consults frequently with the finance committees of our Senate and
House of Representatives on legislative solutions, appears regularly as a
commentator on financial news programs and last summer was invited by the
Brookings Institute to Paris for its three-day program on the sub-prime
melt-down where he appeared on several panels with Paul Volker, former
Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Finally the people who brought you this world mess leave Washington exactly
one month from today. They will leave behind a fair number of
Congresspersons of similar persuasion, so the war is not yet won.

Gals and guys, understand that I am an independent voter, not registered in
any party for decades; I've cast my ballots for Democrats and Republicans
for the presidency, the Senate and House and for state and local offices.
Unfortunately the Republican Party was highjacked thirty years ago or more
by unprincipled thugs whose only precepts were to say and do anything for
money and power, lie, cheat, deceive. They've made the world a messier place
than it's been in many, many years.

Fortunately slightly more than half of the American electorate saw fit to
make an African-American our President. He's smart, principled and burdened
with the worst economy since the Great Depression and the worst world crisis
since the demise of the Soviet Union. We'll see.

Today seems to be my rant day. Please forgive.

Seth