Subject: [Leica] Re: The S2 is not a LEICA
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Dec 21 07:47:39 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Hoppy wrote:

> Steve , in my opinion, the purpose of the S2 is to offer a superb
> medium
> format LEICA system at the top of the quality tree for pros. The lens
> specifications are simply stunning. I very much look forward to
> seeing the
> first results as they come into service.

For true believers, the S2 is not a Leica. It shares none of the
heritage of Oskar Barnack's inspiration. With few exceptions, Leicas
were designed to be portable, indeed pocketable. The camera was
intended to be a photographic companion on hikes and trips. An S2 and
lens kit will require a pack mule. There has always been a continuity
between camera generations. One of the features of the 35 mm Leica RF
design is that all LTM and M mount lenses made for the last 70 years
can be mounted on the modern film and digital RF Leica cameras.
Almost every bloated Leica failed in the marketplace. Leica makes (or
made) first class optical equipment, binoculars, surveying gear,
etc.) and the S2 specs are ambitious indeed. It may be a great
professional and studio camera, and possibly a Hassleblad killer -
BUT IT IS NOT A LEICA.

Oskar must be spinning in his grave.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re: The S2 is not a LEICA)