Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 price
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Dec 21 08:40:35 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Jayanard wrote:

> Are you saying the demand for the M8 is price inelastic? My view is
> that it
> may well be today, in the present economic climate, but at
> introduction,
> when the Leica cachet would have sold easily, a lower price would have
> translated into a larger installed base by now.

The M8 may have well been priced as a Veblen good, a product whose
high price enhances its perception in the marketplace. After all, the
camera was introduced in the go, go year of 2006 when irrational
exuberance was at its peak. Negative price elasticity is a
fundamental  ploy in pricing luxury goods. Cosmetics manufacturers
have long adhered to the mantra "it costs more but I'm worth it." A
good friend of ours runs an art gallery specializing in French
impressionist paintings. If a painting doesn't sell quickly, she
marks up the price. A repeat visitor to the gallery, seeing the
increase in price, is tempted to buy the painting as an investment.
Sounds like the housing and securities market doesn't it? I wonder
how the theory will hold in the current recession.

I'm with Jayanard in feeling that if Leica wanted to develop a
digital camera which would simultaneously increase market share and
be attractive to the advanced amateur photographers who own the vast
majority of Leica cameras, they would have produced one at half the
price. The advantage over the competition would have been the ability
to use the legacy of Leica glass. Many of us who have almost
abandoned film have a collection of Leica lenses gathering dust on a
closet shelf. The cost of the tooling for the expensive optical and
mechanical parts of the camera, the rangefinder and viewfinder, lens
mount and linkages, must have been amortized years ago. After all,
the M cameras are over 50 years old. Most of the other stuff is
supplied by outside firms. When the Leica was introduced, it cost
about a month's salary for the average worker. Right now a Leica and
lens costs about 2 months salary. On the other hand, an equivalent
specification Canon costs about half a month's salary. That's how to
shrink a market.

I know that this is rehashing an old topic but the introduction of
the Micro 4/3 cameras with Leica lens adapters gives us hope. It may
well be that Leica and its partner, Panasonic, have a CL type digital
in the works. Either that or the price of used M8s may soon drop to
the $1500 level. Until then I will continue to use my Olympus DSLR. I
can mount my excellent film SLR camera Olympus lenses on it.

Larry Z