Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
From: octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas)
Date: Sun Dec 21 23:15:31 2008

On 22/12/2008, at 7:29, Carl Socolow wrote:

> when I saw his photos of Manzanar, the
> internment camp where Japanese-American citizens were sent during
> World
> War II. It represents one of the few times I've seen Adams exploration
> of a human landscape. Haunting.
>
> The second picture of his that truly blew me away (and I've seen
> numerous original prints) is a portrait of Charis Wilson Weston done
> while Adams and Weston were out photographing rocks and trees
> somewhere.

There are a whole body of work of lesser know pictures which shows up
an absolutelly different photographer who most people thinks he was.
IIRC He worked with Lange briefly for the FSA, that of the WWII, or a
good part of the Carmel community to put a few examples.

I can understand that landscape photography is not the subject for
many, and in the same way probably the overfeeding of thrid world
pictures [having grew up there as expat] hammering again and again on
the same topics will do the same than rock and ferns in the near
future. Personally, as good misanthrope,  I'm sicked (or cold) about
people stuff, or most of it to be precise, whose who claim to be
documenting but only shows topical representations of misery appealing
the easy call, or just people whose only interest is located in the
signature.

I often think that this kind of love/hate happens pretty often with
people who, like Adams, had been a strong and influential figure, so
killing the father looks like a good way to bring up the lights over
the one who did it. Said this, I'm not a fan of him, but personal
tastes apart I can't understand some of the arguments shown in this
thread.

I feel better, to hell with photography, art, women, and all
E. Weston, 1924
http://luis.imaginarymagnitude.net/