Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Sun Dec 21 22:29:59 2008

It's always a pleasure when you discover a someone who breaks free of
the paradigm of their work. I have been surprised a couple times with
Adams' work. One time  was when I saw his photos of Manzanar, the
internment camp where Japanese-American citizens were sent during World
War II. It represents one of the few times I've seen Adams exploration
of a human landscape. Haunting.

The second picture of his that truly blew me away (and I've seen
numerous original prints) is a portrait of Charis Wilson Weston done
while Adams and Weston were out photographing rocks and trees somewhere.
It's a startling portrait of this earth-goddess-muse. If anyone owns an
original print and wants to give it to me I would be eternally grateful.
I saw it at the Center for Contemporary Photography at the Univ. of
Arizona, Tucson, which, I believe, houses the Adams negatives and is
worth visiting anytime one has the chance; especially the archives study
room. They always have Adams originals on  display along with their
ongoing exhibitions.

Best wishes for the holidays and the new year to all.

Carl Socolow

www.carlsandersocolow.com

Replies: Reply from octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams)