Subject: [Leica] Re: ION Scanner
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Dec 28 19:58:28 2008

At 03:50 PM 12/28/2008, you wrote:

>BTW,  I had one of those Honeywell Slide duplicators a while back. I
>t had a strobe
>for illumination during the exposure, Racked to it was a Pentax with
>bellows and  a
>Takumar copying lens.  I could do FAR better than 1 to 1 copying.  I
>used it with
>B&W, film,  colour print film and Kodachrome film.  I bought it from
>my company
>surplus store for $20,  when the photo lab went digital.  I think
>the device was called
>Repronar.
>Jerry

I use a Beseler Dual Mode slide duplicator that sounds like what you
had.  It does a pretty good job using my Canon 5D and an enlarging
lens.  It can illuminate with flash or a filtered light under the
slide.  Mine was very expensive new but you can find them really
cheap now on EBay.  It doesn't do as good a job scanning as my Nikon
LS5000 but is a very quick way to get anything into digital and is
fine for web use.

Here is an experiment I tried with the same slide.  First the slide
duplicator and the Canon 5D:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/88746181

Then the Nikon LS5000

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/88718456

At the time, most people preferred the Nikon and 100% it is much
sharper with more shadow detail.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com