Subject: [Leica] Re: Vertical Panos
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Mon Dec 29 09:08:36 2008

Richard wrote:

A few people commented on my last blog post, especially on the vertical
pano photo and the challenges it presents. It is true, most panoramic
photos are horizontal. The human vision sees thing that way - a wide
panoramic view. Vertical panoramic, on the other hands, just looks like
someone did the cropping a little too tight. However, perhaps because I
subconsciously look for the vertical aspect similar to a Chinese
calligraphy, I do try that once in a while. So I looked through my
photos and found a few that look pretty decent to me. They all share the
characteristic that either a line draws you in from near to far, or that
at least it has front and far elements. Photos and more here:
<http://rfman.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/the-vertical-panoramic-challenge/>
-- // richard m: richard @imagecraft.com // b: http://rfman.wordpress.com

Richard,

You're discovering what an amazing image capture device the Hasselblad
Xpan can be. For me it's refreshing to see pictures made with it in
color. I use mine pretty much exclusively for black & white. I had read
somewhere that William Eggleston has taken a shine to using the Xpan;
particularly for verticals. I'm hoping to see the retrospective show in
NYC at the Whitney before it closes at the end of January. If anyone has
seen it do you know if there is any of his Xpan work?

Pano seeing has also been explained to me as a continuous triptych; in
that each is essentially three separate frames joined together in a
continuum. It adds to a new way of seeing, composing and defining the frame.

Meanwhile, here's a link to a vertical pano and a horizontal:

http://www.carlsandersocolow.com/images/portfolios/mexico/mexico-med/MO20061223_3a_11Print13x19.jpg

and:

http://www.carlsandersocolow.com/images/portfolios/mexico/mexico-full/MataOrtizXmasTree.jpg

Enjoy. Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year.

--
Carl Sander Socolow
Socolow Photography

Inventing the unknown calls for new forms.
   A. Rimbaud

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and
document(s) attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and may
contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If the
recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
email or its contents in any way.

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Re: Vertical Panos)
Reply from scribe at rs.org (Scribe) ([Leica] Re: Vertical Panos)