Subject: [Leica] LONG Glass from Canon, Nikon and Leica ... or Anyone's glass/camera
From: ejcaliguri at comcast.net (Edward J Caliguri)
Date: Tue Dec 30 09:46:24 2008

Thanks Doug! I use the 400 6.8 Telyt extensively (beside the 'Modern'
Modular System), and the 560 6.8 --- to the 800 6.8, that I eventually sold.

My favorite non- Leica wildlife lenses are the Novoflex 400mm f/5.6
follow-focus. ?These first two are on film with an older Novoflex and a
Nikon FTN camera:

Doug - Yes, THIS IS a great lens. Good Contrast AND sharpness. That Grizzly
looks as if he is going to jump right out at you!

http :// wildlightphoto .com/mammals/carnivores/grbe00. html

These four are with the later three-My favorite non- Leica wildlife lensexs
are the Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 follow-focus. ?These first two are on film with
an older Novoflex and element T-Noflexar on the R8 with DMR :

Good Glass - But not as good overall, I think, as the Novoflex Follow Focus.
Great action shot of Anna's with nice Bokeh

http :// www . wildlightphoto .com/birds/ trochilidae /anhu03. html

I also used an older 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor on the Nikon FTN for several years:

I had this lens as well on an F2; I thought it was ok , but disliked the
Bokeh , and felt it lost detail in the highlight areas regardless of film
type used - so I attributed this phenomenon to the glass. Could be me
though! :-) Canada Goose shot is great; just what this lens was good for
(now I use the 280 Leica F 4.0 Telyt -- WOW!)
http :// www . wildlightphoto .com/birds/ anatidae /cago00. html

and I even used a 500mm Reflex- Nikkor for a year or so:

Nice catch of Acorn Woodpecker; and the 'Donuts' are even OK here, but I
always felt that the lost contrast in mirror lenses was -is-?their downfall
- but they are small and fun!

http :// www . wildlightphoto .com/birds/ picidae /acwo01. html

And I am playing with an SL2 MOT with the HEAVY Motor now, just for the fun
of 'pure manual focus delight' -that screen IS great!- using Ektar 100 and
some of the longer APO Leica Glass. I will have to have them scanned and
post 'em ! And JUST got a DMR /R9 up and running, so those will be easy to
go to web for me.

But you are correct -? Any camera/lens combo can be used to take a great
nature photo!

Edward

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LONG Glass from Canon, Nikon and Leica ... or Anyone's glass/camera)