Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Jan 15 12:59:39 2009

Steve I think that there are several issues confused there. The original
linear information captured must be conform to the fundamental principle.
Half of total are used the represent the first (brightest) stop, one quarter
the next, one eighth the next, one sixteenth the next etc. Up to a reported
81/2 stops of maximum dynamic range for the DNG.

Picking an easy example because the maths makes my brain hurt, -1 exposure
compensation will mean you are halving the number of possible tones you
capture.
What ever total tonal range you do capture is shifted (tones greatly
redistributed) by using a gamma curve since we don't see light in a linear
fashion like sensors do.
Since we are much more sensitive to tonal differences in shadows than
highlights that shift works out OK  but you still have vastly less tones in
the darkest stop than the brightest.

That all applies to any digital capture BUT then the M8 throws in a
complication. The camera takes the original 16 bit capture, (actually throws
away the two lowest bits which are too noise contaminated to be useful) and
uses some more maths to represent those 16 bits as 8 bits. But the original
information is reconstructed from that when you open the file in your DNG
convertor.
That compression process, Leica tells us is nearly lossless for practical
purposes but gives us smaller files to manage in the camera (10MB vs. 20MB).
That is NOT the same as just capturing as jpg in the first place.
Of course if you are capturing as jpg then you are only getting 8 bit,
you've lost the rest of the information permanently.

Now absolutely no argument from me that routinely underexposing may well be
a practical technique and lots of M8 shooters more experienced than I, use
it happily.
Not doing that is my personal technique to extract the most possible
information from the M8 files. After all, its dynamic range is one of the
features that makes it a standout against mere mortal dSLRs!

Ps, I haven't changed anyone's opinion have I ?? ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.