Subject: [Leica] more audiophilia spectacularly OT but interesting to a few
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Jan 17 10:03:51 2009

Hi Lluis!
Before I took up my current career I did R&D and design of record
players. You are absolutely right, the requirement of the turntable is
to rotate at constant speed and no sound parasites. The technical
problem is to achieve this. No turntable I have ever measured or heard
actually achieves it. Our ears are more sensitive than any transducer
in both frequency and amplitude. There is -no- turntable ever made
which produces no sound parasites, and the vast majority produce a lot
of sound parasites and at quite high level. Clever designers design
their players so the parasitic resonances and feedback are at
frequencies and "Q" that listeners find pleasant. Many record players
I have measured have very obviously been tuned to only add harmonious
"interference".
There was one very highly regarded SME arm, the 3009, which had such
energetic resonances that they could be seen as big peaks on the curve
if one was trying to measure a pickup cartridge, the signal added by
this arm at some frequencies was louder than the original music! The
other thing difficult to avoid is the time delayed feedback from the
sound in the room, both structure-borne and airborne.

A few people have tried to lower there parasitics considerably. The
ones I have seen which do this in a technically sound way are Goldmund
and Continuum (there are others who get part way there at a less "no
compromise price"). I am familiar with the Goldmund (the original not
the new limited edition one which seems ludicrously expensive) Of all
those I know it allows by far the lowest level of parasitic
interference get to the pickup cartridge. What Continuum print is
technically very sound. I would not be surprised to find it superior
to the Goldmund in these respects.

The Clearaudio is based on pseudo-technical gobbledygook which is
either there to keep their secrets or, looking at the design, simply
to separate clients from their cash. In my opinion.

The pickup cartridge is, as you say, very important. I also use an
Ortofon. In fact the generator design and pivot damping dominate the
characteristics at lower frequencies. As frequencies increase the
shape of the stylus tip is increasingly important, I forget the
frequency limit for the original spherical tips but at a surprisingly
low frequency the radius of the tip is bigger than the curve it would
have to follow in the groove. At this point it starts being very
inaccurate. The best stylus tips are very expensive. All this is
wasted however if the turntable and arm either generate parasites or
allow feedback through. All turntables do to a surprisingly high
degree, the nice ones are the ones that add harmonious interference!

best regards,

Frank