Subject: [Leica] FS 35mm Summicron
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Jan 17 10:36:26 2009

Hi Bob, the lists I have show that your 35/2 Summicron is from 1972
production that commenced at #2503101 through 2556500. I believe that
Steve's serial numbers refer only to cameras. I bought one of these lenses
shortly after their introduction in 1969 or 70. Was in my kit for a
four-week visit to South and East Africa = 700+ Kodachromes.

One afternoon in our hotel room in Nairobi after returning from an 8-day
tour of the Serengeti, I put down my M4 w/ 35/2 Summicron attached to answer
the phone. I had forgotten to twist the lens to full lock. When I picked it
up, the lens plunged onto a tile floor, bending the rear flange. I literally
burst into sweat, told my wife that I had to go for a short walk to calm
down. Returned to hotel room, looked once again at bent flange, shook lens
vigorously to ascertain if there were loose glass elements, diaphragm blades
or other un-Leica-like anomalies,  etc, tried it on the M4 to which it seemd
to mate as usual. Had no back-up 35mm so used it balance of the trip. On
return to NYC, I called Vince Fochtman, the lens guy at Leitz/Rockleigh whom
I knew pretty well, told him the story and said I was sending him the lens;
if there was damage to the glass or mechanicals that could not be made
perfect,  please just return the lens with a bill and I would sell it and
find another; if it could be made optically and mechanically flawless
despite cosmetic flaws, please repair the lens. A week passed, my lens
returned with a Leitz invoice that had no charge. I called Vince and
inquired. He said the lens was fine, glass clean, clear, not decentered a
micron, just as good as it had come from Wetzlar; he had been able very
gently and little by little to bend the bent- out-of-shape flange into
perfect alignment, didn't need any parts, so no charge!
Talk about robust fortress-like construction! I would like to think that
current production is just as strong. Who knows?

Enjoy your Summicron!

Seth

Seth