Subject: [Leica] WAS: Found on e-Bay NOW: POLITNESS!!!???
From: craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder)
Date: Sun Jan 18 07:41:52 2009

I agree, Frank.  An American walking into into a shop in France and
simply saying, "I would like to try that sweater in a medium, please,"
could seem offensive and condescending to the French clerk and totally
innocuous to the American.  The American would feel the icy edge to the
remaining part of the interlude and re-establish their preconception of
"those French".  The next American into the shop might be more tuned
into the ways of the culture and say something like, "I have some
blue-gray slacks and am having trouble finding a sweater to coordinate
properly.  Do you think that you could help me with my problem?"  Now
you have a compatriot assisting you in a common quest and the clerk may
have taken a tiny chip away from their idea of what an American behaves
like, too.

I live in the upper Midwest of the USA and in general, see mostly
courteous behavior.  When I witness the opposite, it is usually by the
clueless, coarse and young, though.

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] WAS: Found on e-Bay NOW: POLITNESS!!!???)