Subject: [Leica] Re: my digital journey (WAS: Nathan's PAW 3: Santa Pola, tapas, and new software)
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jan 26 14:19:05 2009

Hi George,

As always, thanks for looking and for the kind words.

To answer your question: yes, I have used all the equipment you
mention. In 2004 I decided to get a DSLR and went to Canon, mainly
because I wanted to use my Leica R lenses. But like you have written
on several occasions, I quickly found that Leica R lenses work best on
a Leica body, and I sold them all except my 100mm Apo Macro which was
just too good to let go. After about a year with the 20D I bought a
second-hand 1D Mark II and used that as my primary outfit for a couple
of years, along with 3-4 L lenses. I liked that the Canon was rugged,
weather-proof (tested several times in Amsterdam downpours), but boy
did my shoulder hurt after walking around with the bag for a day. I
was, however, disappointed with the optical quality of some of the
expensive lenses, particularly the 16-35mm. Even on a body with a 1.3
sensor factor it was decidedly soft in corners.

So I began to look at Olympus, attracted by the lighter bodies and
lenses and the good reputation enjoyed by Olympus optics. After
getting my feet wet with an E-410, I bought an E3 which I still have,
along with the 12-60mm and 50-200mm lenses. I was and am very pleased
with this DSLR, despite the limitations at high ISO. The lenses were
definitely better than their Canon equivalents.

All along I lusted after an M8, and when the right opportunity
presented itself in early December, I went for it. I have now shot
approximately 1700 images with it, and I could not be more pleased. It
did not take me long to re-learn manual focusing, and now my
percentage of nailed focus shots is higher than with the AF systems I
used before. I can again carry my outfit around all day in my Domke
803 and not have shoulder pain. My primary lens is the 35mm Summarit,
a brilliant lens which, aside from a bit of barrel distortion is every
bit as good as a Summicron. But the bottom line is image quality. Let
me put it this way: with my M8 files, I no longer sharpen my images.
It is simply not necessary. I spend much less time processing my RAW
files in Lightroom with the M8 than with any of the other cameras I
have owned.

Is the M8 perfect? Of course not. I would like better high ISO
performance, although I find 1250 entirely satisfactory and far
superior to film (but of course Nikon has shown us how good high ISO
can be). I would also like some weather-proofing, as befits a camera
designed for street photography. And that's about it. Full frame is
not a big deal for me, and really the only Olympus feature I sometimes
miss is the supersonic dust removal.

Getting the M8 was the best decision (in photography) that I have made
in a long time. Should I have done it earlier? Not really. I had long
said that once I could buy one at a certain price point, I would do
so. That price point was reached in December--around 2500 Euros, new,
with 2-year UK Passport warranty.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain