Subject: [Leica] Focomat I
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Jan 27 09:18:56 2009

At 07:55 AM 1/27/2009, you wrote:

 >It was fairly easy to find a Focotar F4,4/50 in nice condition, but then
 >again I'm in Germany so maybe that helps. Though I did have to wait a
 >few weeks to find exactly the one I wanted. I've also heard good things
 >about the Schneider-Kreuznach Componon which is the reason I went ahead
 >and bought one as well.

Dear heavens.

The basic JSK Componon is an okay lens, on par
with the Nikon lens of which everyone raves, but
the APO version is much better and can now be
found for a song on eBay as everyone dumps their
chemical darkrooms for digital.  The 4.5/50
Focotar is highly praised and my own experience
tells me that it is a fine lens, though I have
restricted myself to the 2.8/40 on my V-35 and
APO-Rodagons on my C23.  These suit my purposes
well.  Again, these guys go for peanuts on eBay today.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!