Subject: [Leica] Got my 24/3.8
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Jan 31 13:59:58 2009

Adding to Akhil's comments there:
Currently here, The Aussie distributor has not only pre-price rise stock but
also discounts on the old prices for some M lenses.
Then 15% rebates refunded by the distributor to an Australian bank account
The rebates are on any lens in stock except for the new release, Nocti. 21 &
24 Summilux and 24 Elmar
Also overseas buyers do not pay the Australian Goods and Services Tax
included by law in the quoted prices (10%)
The bonus is that the Australian dollar is now also at its weakest against
the greenback since the start of the current meltdown (.635 USD)

Here's an example:
75mm/2 M APO Summicron ASPH. $2999 less tax $2726 less rebate (refund after
purchase) $2317
At today's exchange rate that is $1472 USD plus whatever the freight is.
The Summarit 35 is $1495 AUD which would be $734 USD plus freight today!
The Elmarit M 24 ASPH. $3545 AUD which would be $1740 USD plus freight.
Unsurprisingly a number of LUG folks have been buying up. I think the
distributor has run through a lot of its limited stock.
Anyway I am not part of the local dealers except as a customer. Sadly no
commissions or spotter's fees from anyone for me ;-)  I didn't get any
rebates on any of my recent purchases either ;-(
Anyone that would like more info, drop me a line off list if you like. I
would move quickly.

--
Cheers
Geoff