Subject: [Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Jan 31 16:50:48 2009

Sunday morning coffee time here, Mark!
Your thread was my contribution for the day on rebutting critiques of
Leica..
You are very welcome to disagree of course, thoughtful discussion is always
educational. Just tell us the rationale behind each pont then.
 Why do you categorically disagree strongly with every point? Can you expand
that beyond yes, yes, yes?
No, no, no format was meant to be light hearted, see the smiley.

My views revisited are that Leica does not want to compete with the Cosina
Voigtlander range and price point for example.
Leica does not want to produce M lenses that are not suitable for every M
camera in production now, the past and possibly the future.

I agree with your preference for compact modest aperture lens with great
handling. I voted with my wallet by waiting 3 months and spending hundreds
of dollars more for my new Elmar M 24 over the Elmarit M 24 (usually very
much more expensive here). I also relish and use though, my fast Leica glass
wide open. No one does it better wide open than Leica.
Regarding the M8 not being able to exploit the quality of the lenses, as far
as I know you haven't personally used the M8? I've only had mine for about
11 months now but have shot 5000 frames. Honestly they are capable of superb
output. My own criteria is printing here up to 12 inches by 18 inches.
Putting a print from the same lenses on my M7 beside one from the M8 is a
very rewarding experience.
Do you think that the Summarits are not small enough for what you had in
mind? Or still too expensive? How about the Elmarit 28 ASPH.?

All the real DX format lenses I see (Nikkors) are very much bulkier.
Naturally zooms are a part of that. Did you note that now Nikon have a
quandary because they have new full 35mm sensor size dSLRs and all of the DX
glass cripples those cameras? I can't imagine a pro with an expensive
collection of Nikkors being pleased with that. Do you doubt that the Nikon
and Canon ranges will keep moving to the larger sensor size? Sorry to
mention the four thirds lenses, I know that you are very fond of them ;-)
;-) ;-), but although designed to be used with a smaller sensor area they
are not my idea of compact largely. There is more to the designs than just
the size of the image circle as you know.

Surely one of Leica's optical design strengths is how they do manage to
package amazing performance into very compact form factors already. The very
best example of that I can think of is the Summicron M 28 ASPH. I guess the
Elmarit M 28 ASPH. takes that further? It is much easier to design higher
performance lenses if you are prepared to accept a bigger form factor.
I just read your new post as I was typing. To the best of my knowledge it
would be grossly impractical and expensive to produce a curved sensor as you
have suggested! Maybe you were referring to the angled micro-lenses
overlaying the photosites?
I think that the new sensor technology and image processor of the S2 will be
the basis of future R& M sensors.There you go, fire away, ready to repel
boarders here ;-)

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux)