Subject: [Leica] Re: Monster Lenses of 50mm or wider
From: ejcaliguri at comcast.net (Edward J Caliguri)
Date: Sun Feb 8 17:43:52 2009

I guess the point I tried to make before got lost in translation. Leica?
made some darn big 'normal' lenses - either short zooms or fixed focal
length.?The 50 R F/1.4 Summilux R E60 is the BEST in its class for SLR's, as
is the 35 -70 f/2.8 Elmarit Asph R for normal range zooms. The Double
Aspherical 35 1.4 Summilux?M (The single Asph version is the same in
performance), was a heck of a lot bigger than it's non aspherical
predecesor. Better lenses came with heavier designs.

But I am now holding the new Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G lens, and it is small and
light (58mm filter) all internal focus - not a Monster at all, even with the
hood in place. Put this on a D700 and you have the what could be he ultimate
street shooter. It will fit in a (big) pocket, but in total it is very light
and fast. Tough and weatherproof, at ISO 6400 it will shoot the lights out
of my M8 or DMR. In some ways, I envy that. AndI know the new Nikkor 24
f/1.4 G will make the older version look overstuffed and way out of line
size and performance wise.

Ed

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: Monster Lenses of 50mm or wider)