Subject: [Leica] LTM versus M
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Feb 17 13:00:03 2009

There have been some unflattering comparisons of
the LTM cameras to the M bodies.  Allow me a gentle dissent.

First, it is an axiom of life that a warrior
learns to use the weapons available and at
hand.  So, learn to use an LTM camera and the
difficulties just drop away.  Two different
eyepieces, one for the RF and the other for the
VF?  Sure?  So what:  the 1.5X magnification on
the later LTM cameras makes that RF more accurate
than those on even the M3.  Clipping film to load
the camera?  Yup.  So what?  I carry a Swiss Army
Knife for such chores, and it takes all of, gee,
10 seconds?  Separate slow-speed dial?  Yeah.  So
what?  A warrior learns to use the weapons at hand.

Yes, the Contax II was a more user-friendly
camera.  It had a removable back.  It had a
combined RF/VF, arguably the best in any
mass-produced RF camera, bright and huge.  The
Leitz film cassette is from nowhere when compared
to the magnificent Zeiss Ikon cassette, later
thefted by Nikon and produced by them into the
1980's, while the Ukrainian rip-off is pretty
good, as well.  And in the Contax system, you can
put a cassette both as the film supply and as the
take-up, a really handy function if you are too
weak after seven days of photography
(har-har:  seven days of photography makes one
weak -- Sorry for that one, Walt!)   to rewind
the film.  By 1940, most of the hard-country
photojournalists had switched from Leica to
Contax but the many virtues of the system are forgotten today.

There is a second side to this.  When I got my
IIIc, after decades of lust, I picked up a lot of
literature and learned how to flush the system
out with doo-dads and gee-gaws and forced myself
to learn to shoot as they did in the era of the
Korean War.  A IIIc with an APDOO self-timer and
a Geiss Kontakt IIIc flash synchronizer is a
delight.  Avoid the Leitz Imarect, as it can only
be called "lame" by charity, but there are other
auxiliar VF's including those from Astro, Carl
Zeiss, and TEWE which fill the bill
admirably.  The delight of taking the IIIc on a
shoot is that the working is that of 1950.  Want
a telephoto?  Great!  Pick up a Visoflex I, a
sports shutter release, and a 4.5/20cm Telyt,
and, my gosh, you might be back shooting the 1936
Winter Olympics.  In realistic terms, unless you
score a 4.5/21 CZ Biogon in LTM -- one of mine,
alas, was converted to M BM, but it is my regular
wide-angle for my M cameras -- the widest you can
reasonably go is a 2.8/3.5cm CZJ Biogon T or a
Jupiter-12, either of which works admirably.

So, when I have somewhere to go which I wish to
document but where the results are of no fiscal
or societal value, I'm always split between the
IIIc and a Conax II.  But then, there is always
that Werra 3, with its 1/750" Prestor.  So little
time!  So many choices!  Best to take the
Hasselblad SWC or the Rolleiflex 2.8GX .... hmm.

But do not sell LTM gear short.  Wonderful
cameras, wonderful system, wonderful access to
some grand lenses.  Want telephoto?  I can do
28/2600 on my Questar or 13/1000 on my Swift 831
or 4/300 on my Pan-Tele-Kilar, not to mention 5/40cm with my Telyt.

The IIIc and Contax RF cameras were fully evolved
systems.  Do not sell them short.  And it is a
worthy thing to learn how the great pictures of the past were made.

Again, a warrior uses the weapons at hand.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com) ([Leica] LTM versus M)