Subject: [Leica] Re: Frankenschwinn bike
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Feb 26 15:02:47 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Javier wrote:

> Have a look at my Schwinn Ranger
>

> http://63.164.201.182/pub/ranger.jpg
>

> It's almost finished. I just got the new direct curve calipers in
> the mail and I'm waiting for the drop bars and V drop levers. It's
> hard to get V drop levers! Boy this is more fun than cameras! I've
> been building up this puppy since last summer and It's starting to
> look downright exotic! Notice the chain? The frame has vertical
> dropouts but there's no tensioner!
> The frames geometry allows a 39T chainring and a 16T sprocket to be
> tied together almost perfectly without needing a tensioner. I just
> shimmed the axle by about .150" and it worked out great! The only
> things left from the original bike are the frame the seat and the
> pedals. I like cheapo plastic pedals!
>
> I can hardly believe this started out as a department store bike
> from Target!

The Frankenschwinn bike looks interesting. For odd and unusual bike
parts, check Bike Nashbar. They have almost everything at reasonable
prices. www.nashbar.com/

Remember that chains stretch. It may fit perfectly now but it will get
sloppy after a few months of riding.

My own favorite bike is a 22 year old heavily modified aluminum tube
Raleigh, from the era when they still made good bikes. I used it to
commute 10 miles to work each day, not because I particularly love
riding but because I was willing to trade half an hour of outdoor
exercise for the same amount of time fighting commuter traffic. The
modifications included downsizing the chainwheel to get lower gear
ratios, adding bar end shifters (the greatest invention since the
Leica) and switching to wider wheels mounting 35mm Michelin tires to
better cope with the potholes. I rode the bike on a LAW Century
finishing only two hours behind the leaders. The bike was comfortable
but sure wasn't a racer.

Larry Z