Subject: [Leica] IMG: Last from Hawaii
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu Feb 26 15:23:15 2009

I'll be returning to California on Friday so this is the last post from
Hawaii.  Little Kaydence is doing very well and Kelsey is complaining that
at two weeks old, Kaydence is growing up too quickly.  Kelsey has recovered
enough from the birth that we were able to go hiking (with Kaydence) today.
Kelsey swears that Kaydence will grow up outdoors.

A few more pictures:

A Red-whiskered Bulbul:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/pycnonotidae/rwbu01.html

The Nutmeg Mannikin,a member of the Waxbill family (Estrildidae) is a tiny
seed-eater that is easily overlooked in grassy areas:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/numa01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/numa02.html

The Java Sparrow is another Waxbill, often kept as a cage bird:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/jasp00.html

technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R + 1.4x APO-Extender-R,
shoulder stock & monopod.

These are all introduced species.  Many of Hawaii's native landbirds are
either extinct or close to extinction, due to a very large degree to
introduced species, for example: the introduced Indian Mongoose preys on
ground-nesting species, and avian malaria (not a native organism) has
eliminated most native bird species at the lower (warmer) elevations.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Kailua
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Last from Hawaii)