Subject: [Leica] Glass IR cover on sensor
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 16:28:56 -0400

On Mar 8, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Goeff wrote:

> Frank, as you say, I think that is so about sensors in general. If
> you are
> curious there are some other differences with this new sensor
> discussed in
> the blog and the L Camera forum thread. I noted that the  Kodak
> sensor uses
> angled micro lenses around the periphery like the M8 arrangement.
> Also the
> lens formulations take into account the cover glass (and I guess the
> IR
> filter component ?) in their formulation. They are describing a mm
> of glass
> over the sensor vs. I think half a mm on the M8 sensor.

I dimly recall from an optics class that a flat glass slab behind a
lens doesn't add any aberrations, and, if the entrance angle is not
too extreme, moves the focal plane back about 1/3 the thickness of the
glass. This might introduce a problem is switching lenses between
cameras. The shift in focal plane would be quite small, about 1/3 mm
but that's enough to rile RF camera users. Of course with DSLRs or
autofocus the point is moot.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Glass IR cover on sensor)