Subject: [Leica] Kangaroo Island?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:02:49 +1000

Brian I think that perhaps the answer to your conundrums lies in your own
post. The part about baby Shiraz wines!
However to actually be helpful, the animals are largely nocturnal. The best
viewing times are at dawn or dusk. They especially are not active in the
heat of the day. They are quiet and a lot better at spotting you than you
are them. Koalas live in particular eucalypt trees and sleep a lot.  They do
not however roam in photogenic packs in the grasslands ;-)  By the way the
kolas there are actually introduced from the mainland and all from 18
animals introduced in the 1920's Inbred beasts!
The best way to see unfenced wildlife is to sit quietly in the early morning
in their habitat. Yesterday quietly walking for half an hour through a strip
of scrubby creek margin near home, I saw more than 50 kangaroos at ranges
from 10 metres to perhaps 200 metres.

The last population figures I could find for KI were:
1.5 million sheep; 1 million Tammar Wallabies; 15000 koalas; thousands of
tiger snakes, etc A human population of 4000.
Keep looking !!

I rather suspect the gift shop lady was having a little joke with you. Its
been known to happen!
To take a peek without sitting under trees with a few baby shiraz bottles,
you can try these spots

Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
South Coast Road Western KI

Parndana Wildlife Park Plsyford Highway Pardana (in the heartland)

Pauls Place Stokes Bay Road Stokes Bay

These places will have tame critters  that you can feed or cuddle.
Don't forget to see the penguins and Australian Sea lions . Those
populations are entirely wild but you can see them up close.
See you in Adelaide and you can preview your pictures to me over a shiraz or
three.